Great Teeth! Great smile! Great Life!
Establishing good oral hygiene and dietary habits have been proven to be essential to achieving and maintaining, overall physical and emotional well-being throughout life.
Oral Health can affect both physical and emotional well-being as it can impact upon appearance, interpersonal relations, diet, nutrition and speech.
In addition disease of the mouth can affect the rest of the body and is a contributing factor to a number of secondary conditions
The three main factors for good oral health are:
- Avoid food and drinks that contain high level of added and natural sugar which may contribute to tooth decay.
- The more often sugary foods and drinks are eaten the more likely you are to experience tooth decay.
- Fluoride protects teeth against tooth decay.
- Water fluoridation in optimum levels is the most effective way to allow everybody to have access in fluoride.
- Both children and adults benefit from water fluoridation.
- The beneficial effect of water fluoridation is additional to that of fluoridated toothpaste.
- Fluoride supplements do not provide the same benefit as water fluoridation.
3. Self Care
- Twice daily tooth brushing with a fluoride toothpaste and a soft toothbrush will help protect against tooth decay.
- To have a healthy smile, maintain a healthy diet by drinking plenty of tap water, limiting sugary foods and drinks and Choosing healthy snacks like fruits, vegetables and cheese.
- Drink fluoridated water if it is available to help strengthen your teeth.